Reach for this throw-it-on sundress on those sticky, hot summer days when you don’t know what else to wear, or layer it up over a t-shirt as the sun goes down. The easy-fitting empire waist bodice is gently shaped with pleats under the bust and has a neat bias binding finish on the inside.
The slightly square scoop neckline is designed to cover a bra, with optional bra strap stays for added security. Add the optional faux ties to the straps for an extra touch of whimsy. Choose from mini-, knee- or maxi-length hemlines for the floaty, gathered skirt. And, of course, it has side seam pockets for your ice cream money!
Skye includes Tilly and the Buttons’ award-winning beginner-friendly instructions, with colour photos showing you each step – making it easy for you to create gorgeous clothes you can be proud to say you made yourself.
SKILL LEVEL – Confident beginner
SIZE RANGE – UK 6-34 / US 2-30 / EUR 34-62 / AUS 6-34
FABRIC SUGGESTIONS – Light- to medium-weight fabrics such as cotton lawn, poplin, seersucker, lighter-weight linen and blends, double gauze, viscose (rayon), lyocell (Tencel), silk or poly crepe de chine.
- Matching and contrast thread
- 8m (3 1/8yd) x 10-13mm (3/8-1/2in) wide single fold bias binding OR 0.4m (1/2yd) extra fabric (such as lightweight cotton) to make your own
- Optional: 2.6m (2 7/8yd) iron-on seam tape
- Small piece of iron-on interfacing
- Sewing machine and basic tools (a 10-13mm [3/8-1/2in] bias binding maker can be helpful)
- For optional bra stays: hand sewing needle + 2 x small sew-on snaps